At Northwest Arkansas Family Dental, we recognize that a dental emergency can mean many things, but as a rule, we consider the following to be dental emergencies:
- Tooth pain
- Jaw pain
- Jaw swelling
- Injury to the soft tissues of the mouth
- Broken tooth or restoration
- Tooth or restoration knocked loose or out
Of course, there can be other situations that we have not considered here, which is why we always want you to call our dental office if you’re not sure. Your dentist in Fayetteville can weigh your symptoms and advise you what to do—whether to come in or wait a few days. A member of our team or your dentist will provide all at-home instructions in the meantime.
If you’re in pain, however, or your oral health is at risk, we want to see you as soon as possible.
We also want to share a few tips to help you avoid future dental emergencies:
- Brush your teeth at least two times every day.
- Floss between your teeth at least once every day.
- Come to our dental office twice yearly for exams and teeth cleanings.
- Wear a nightguard if you grind and clench your teeth.
- Wear a mouthguard if you compete in athletics.