The way that your teeth and bite fit together is known as your occlusion. When your teeth are not aligning properly, or your bite is off, this is referred to as malocclusion. A misaligned bite can cause all kinds of issues with your joints, such as TMD, or temporomandibular disorders. It can also cause excessive wear, fractures, or other damage to your teeth.
Types of malocclusions
There are also different types of malocclusions such as:
- Overbite - This is where your top arch of teeth protrude over you bottom teeth.
- Cross Bite - This occurs when upper teeth don't fit properly with the lower teeth. They're on the wrong side.
- Underbite - This happens when the lower teeth are farther forward than the upper teeth.
- Open Bite - In this case the molars fit together, however the upper and lower front teeth don't meet resulting in a opening of the front teeth.
- Spacing or Crowding Issues - Teeth that are crowded or overlap cause malocclusion, as well as teeth that have gaps and spacing.
Contact Northwest Arkansas Family Dental for your evaluation
Malocclusion can be treated in a number of different ways, and it's best to have your particular situation evaluated by your dental team at Northwest Arkansas Family Dental. If malocclusions are left untreated, they can lead to joint disorders, painful headaches, neck and shoulder pain, excessive wear or fractures to your teeth, and an increased risk for developing gum disease.